The Morgan Family

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Jigger Digger

Ok, so not me.  I mean, I didn't actually remove any jiggers myself.  That is mostly Ugandans and a few Muzungus (white people) that do that.  But I did serve at the clinic today (sounds like I stayed at a holiday inn last night).  If you've been around me at all, you know of our love for Sole Hope and their mission in Uganda.  While non-profits seem to be a dime a dozen here, there is no other like theirs.

Weekly, they go into a village and conduct a jigger removal clinic.  Today, I was blessed to be a part of it.  I met two new friends, Vicky, an ex-pat who lives here with her family who started an organization to teach business locally and Nick, one of the founders of The Archibald Project, a media mission organization who, in which he and his wife make beautiful art to share the plight of orphan care.  Then there was Dru, myself, and a handful of Ugandans that set out this morning at 9:30 am (ok it was supposed to be then but we’re on Ugandan time so it was more like 10:30).  The setup is like a well-oiled machine.  Intake person (Ugandan) talks to the kids and checks them in.  Then they get in queue to have their feet washed.  Today, this was the Muzungu’s job.  Vicky and I (and Nick for a few) jumped right in and got our hands dirty.  And it felt like I washed a hundred feet today.  Then the children are carried from the washing station to the removal station where 6-8 Ugandans literally dug in and removed hundreds of jiggers today, about a hundred alone in that one child of which I posted a picture.  Once they’re finished getting treated, the children (and adults as well) are carried to the shoe fitting station where someone sizes the shoes and gives them to the child.  Of course there are stickers and sweeties (candy/suckers) galore to keep the children content during this rigorous process.  The hope is, once the child is jigger free and has shoes, they will remain that way and not be affected by these debilitating insects.

I am always so thankful to be a part of experiences like this.  Is never ceases to amaze me how much of a bubble we live in and how many luxuries we are afforded.  It sounds so silly but even here, staying at this beautiful guest house with a dairy right down the street (can you say fresh milk and ice cream from jersey cows), an amazing cook for the organization (Mary just opened her own Mexican restaurant in town), and very hard working people who daily sacrifice to love and care for people in need.  I am humbled to be in their presence.

One of these such people is a social worker, Adam, who now works for Sole Hope but used to work for the babies home from where we adopted.  I am always thankful for conversations with him and for his amazing work ethic and moral standard.  As an adoptive mom, especially in international adoption, you hear a LOT about unethical cases, children who bribes were paid for, whose families were lied to, etc.  You may read that and be appalled but you would be amazed at the number of organizations for which this is the standard.  After coming home with our Jonah there are times when I would go back and comb through paperwork and go over conversations in my head.  I’d chase facts down rabbit holes and annoy the crap out of my husband doing so.  I always just wanted to make sure that we didn't miss anything.  That poverty wasn't the only reason Jonah was with us.  That there were really no such family members, extended or immediate, that could care for Jonah in his home country amidst his culture.

I didn't write yesterday because, while I got to go to the outreach house and have some great nap and alone time, the highlight of my yesterday was my conversation with Adam.  We started discussing our case and some other issues he is working right now and how we had some similar and difficult experiences that he is currently dealing with.  As I have stated before, I will not be sharing details of our case publicly as these things make up Jonah’s story and they will be his to share when he is ready, but the point is not about Jonah’s story, the point is about the great sense of peace I received.  I had no reason to question him and the ONLY reason we worked with our babies home is because we did our research and trusted the director and our lawyer completely (and they have now become our dear friends).  But even still, you begin to wonder.  Adam recounted different aspects of our story and I loved that every detail was just right, just the same as it has always been.  After a year and a half, I know there would be no way he could have carried untruths.  In addition, I found out some other cool details of the extended family that I have captured in the journal I have been writing to Jonah to try and catch anything we possibly can of his origins.  What a gem.  And to know that this man is disgusted by some of the inner workings of other organizations and frustrations with the process, it is completely in alignment with what I would be searching for in an ethical adoption.  I slept so calmly last night having even more peace about our story and Jonah’s placement.  I am so thankful for these amazing people who love these kids and want to do the best for them, even if that means someone like a prospective adoptive parent is hurt in the process.


My thought of the trip has seemed to focus on freedom.  What does it mean to be free?  I wonder what your thoughts are on this question.  I’d love to hear!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Amanda it's so wonderful to read about your time back in Jinja! I'm so glad it's both been so productive and so full of peace. Adam for sure is one hard worker! He worked at the Probation Office before AASU so he's seen all sorts. He's another one to please greet and send my love to please! Haha. It's so beautiful you're writing a journal to Jonah while you're there, what a treasure I'm sure that will be to him. He can read how he was always so loved :) I hope the rest of your time continues how it's started!

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete